SNL Financial provides data on approximately 29,000 banking institutions worldwide. EUI members have access from 1 March. The database provides financial statements; market analysis; filings; maps of bank locations; mergers and acquisitions information; and financial sector news and alerts. An Excel add-in can be used for the selection and elaboration of data variables, geographical coverage and time series. SNL Financial is published by Standard and Poors.
- Data coverage for European banks is up to 13 years
- Coverage for North America is up to 30 years
- Data coverage for banks in emerging markets averages five years.
S&P provides user guides, webinars and Excel add-in instructions on the SNL platform.
Example of European banking data download (registration instructions further below)
- Go to APPS in the upper left of the top menu
- Click on ‘Screener’ (5th in the APPS drop-down menu)
- To access data, change options as required, eg:
- Operating Status: operating and/or acquired/defunct
- Ownership Status: listed and/or non-listed
- Geography: Europe
- Industry: Banking
- Coverage Depth: full and/or summary (both recommended, as ‘summary’ also contains detailed observations)
- Parents/subsidiaries: included / excluded
- Consolidated Status: consolidated and/or unconsolidated.
To create an account on the SNL platform, EUI members should follow these instructions:
- Go to the SNL Financial proxied link in the EUI Library catalogue
- When the SNL homepage opens, click the ‘Register’ tab
- Enter an EUI mail account
- An activation message is sent to the EUI address
- Open the email and click on the link
- Complete the registration form
- A second link is sent by email
- Click on the link and set a password
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions by ticking in the box provided
- Complete the registration process. Under Profile, choose the first (Banking Sector-Focused User) and under Industry, choose ‘Banking’
- Click Next
- A new screen opens and requests various preferences such as time-zone and topics
Users may also use the new (beta) SNL interface, by clicking the top tab for ‘Try the new SNL.’
For assistance, please write to: [email protected]
EUI members also have access to these resources:
- Global Financial Database providing long-range financial data series on stocks, bonds, bills and other observations, covering approximately 200 countries
- Datastream global financial and macroeconomic platform covering equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets.
- Amadeus database of comparable financial and business information on Europe’s largest 500,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
Non-EUI members to do not have access to SNL Financial.